Saturday 21 January 2012

Andy Jones - Exclusive interview with the Schumacher & Team Losi off-road racer


 It has been a great privilege to have spoken with some of the most revered off-road racers that our beloved scene has to offer. Every driver and manufacturer I have interviewed has given me such an amazing insight into what really 'makes them tick'. As I recently compiled my next list of super star drivers and RC 'movers and shakers' that I wanted to sit down with and share some time speaking about the world of off-road , one name came to mind instantly. Andy Jones has been contributing his efforts to the world of off-road competition for a little over 22 years. His career has taken him across the globe to European Championships, the length and breadth of the U.K with domestic nationals, and catapulted him to local fame with hundreds of regional and club appearances.With the support of Schumacher during his 1/10th campaigns, and his new team drive with the Losi brand during the micro season, Andy never stops giving back to the sport. His responsibilities do not end on the track. Andy's position as BRCA Micro Scale Entries Officer keeps him more than busy whilst not racing. So, Andy Jones settles down with me knowing that I have a bit of a reputation for asking 'unusual questions'...but you know what folks?....he looks ready for anything I might throw at him....Off-Road Radio Control welcomes one of the hardest working men in RC....Mr Andy Jones.


ORRC - When you first became interested in off-road racing, who got you involved, tell us the story?

Andy -  It was 1990 and I was 8 years old.  My older brother had got into racing via my dad and a friend of my dads whose son also raced. I used to go along to my local club Ellesmere Port Off Roaders (where I still race today) to watch but despite wanting to race Dad wouldn't let me to begin with.  I finally got my hands on a car though!

ORRC - What was your first RC buggy?

Andy - It was a Tamiya car (like most people I would imagine) and it was a Firedragon.  I loved that car! So much so I noticed recently that one of my local model shops has one in stock and I am so tempted for nostalgia purposes in buying it, just to build!


ORRC -  Did you find racing came naturally or did you have to train yourself hard to compete at an early age?

Andy - A bit of both to be honest!  I felt I had a natural talent in me but to compliment this talent I was fortunate enough to be racing at a very competitive club at Ellesmere Port.  We used to get 80-90 drivers on a regular basis on a Tuesday night and we all split into leagues which ran monthly.  The weekly competition helped me to develop my skills quickly.

ORRC - With the UK 1/10 tracks being such high grip surfaces do you think that the development of our domestic racers skills takes longer due to lack of opportunity to race dirt and clay?


Andy - It's a very good question!  I would honestly have to say Yes and that's based on my own experiences.  If truth be told I really dislike racing on clay but that is probably because of the limited opportunities I get to race on the surface.  I've raced at 4 European Championships in 1/10th Off Road, 2 of these being on Clay, and my best result was a C Final on Astroturf!  It's fair to say I was nowhere near this on Clay!


ORRC -  Since you have diversified into 1/16th do you find switching back to 10th for your outdoor season a culture shock? What are the distinct differences between racing 2 different scales in off-road?

Andy - Not at all, I find it no different than racing 1/10th 2wd and 4wd on the same day.  I've been racing the Micro Nationals since early 2010 and I see the Micro's as a welcome change to the 1/10th racing and I'm fortunate that the Micro Nationals are over the Winter months and the 1/10th Regionals and Nationals cover the Summer months so there isn't too  much of a conflict.  In terms of distinct differences I would say there aren't many! You still have to apply the same logic in setting up all the cars, the major difference I find is how hard the Micros are to drive cleanly and quickly over 5 minutes, it requires maximum concentration

ORRC - With your vast experience competing at 10th National level, what have been your favourite places you have visited over the years in terms of people, track, facilities, atmosphere?

Andy - 'Vast' is a very fair comment, I've been competing in the BRCA Nationals over the past 15 seasons (I think) and it's fair to say I've been to a fair number of places.  A key component for me at racing is the social side of it, the racing of course is very important but I like to wind down in the evenings, have a laugh, eat rubbish and have a few beers.  There have been many a race meeting I've turned up hungover but alas those days are over!  To answer the question and for the reasons I've mentioned above I would say Southport is and always will be my favourite.  The Annual National (which sadly isn't on the main calendar this year) sees a fair number of us going into town and enjoying the delights Southport has to offer!  Southport also provides the racers with a tough track to drive but is thoroughly rewarding if you get a clean 5 minutes.  Oswestry

   
ORRC - Describe your racing style in terms of an animal, and explain why it best suits your race style?

Andy - Goldfish - Orange, cute and carefree, oh and has the attention span of 3 seconds!

(NB: My attention span is slightly longer than that, it's about 4 minutes!)


ORRC - What is your favourite 10th shock absorber of all time, both in terms of during usage and the build experience?

Andy - I'd be lying to you if I answered this question Stu!  Those who know me also know I don't get near the cars (1/10th).  Despite racing them since 1990 I still very much rely on Dad to do the maintenance, although 2012 is the year of change!

ORRC - When you race at a very high level of competition, what are you secrets to staying calm during the pressure of competition?

Andy - You always know if you're on a good run, you get 'that' feeling and the way I try to achieve calmness is by taking 1 lap at a time.  I am very aware of my surroundings on the track and I always know who is quick in my heat so I try to use one of the other drivers as a marker.

ORRC -  If you could design your own chassis lay out for a 2wd buggy, describe some of the features you would love to see available to the racing public within your design?

Andy - It's a very tough question to be honest.  If you'd asked me 2 years ago I would have said stick a motor out the back end of the car, throw a stick pack down the middle of the chassis and away you go! Now I'm not convinced that is the best way.  With my own car I wouldn't stray too far from the way I currently run the Cougar, Mid-motored to start with and then saddle pack Lipo's next to each other on the chassis, in my opinion the weight distribution will be ideal for the tracks that we currently race on in the UK


ORRC -  Imagine you have infinite budget/sponsor support, do you think it would ever be a benefit to carry several fully set-up identical cars to a Euro or Worlds event. Explain how this would benefit you during the intense level of high profile race meetings?

Andy - I currently do this at a Micro National! Unfortunately at the highest levels you need to mark the chassis and only in extreme circumstances are you allowed to change this.  It is beneficial for breaking purposes at our own Regional and National levels.



ORRC - Where on a track is your favourite place to over take?

Andy - The straight, 100% the straight!  I love the thrill of getting past someone and having to hold for the corner although it doesn't often happen anymore due to the speed we all hold.  


ORRC - Have you ever turned up to race and realised you have forgotten to pack something really essential!? Tell us the story?

Andy - One particular moment springs to mind and that was at a Radio Race Car event held at Wrexham around 1993.  We arrived at what was my first event with over 100 drivers and as we were unpacking it came to light that we didn't have a transmitter.  Luckily we were only a 25minute drive from home so the situation could be rectified!!  I always check now before we leave Ellesmere Port that everything is packed!!

ORRC - When a racer of your experience is in front of new comers and children, what's the most important quality you feel you must show?

Andy -  Helpfulness, simple as that.  Both new comers and children that come into our sport are always nervous, they never know what to expect, they are not used to our racing procedures and to put it bluntly they just don't know what to expect.  If you see someone at a meeting who fits into the above I'm always happy to have a chat to them and assist in anyway I can.  It's not just about the experienced top racers, the meetings are all about the new comers and the less experienced as without them we wouldn't have the meetings that we do.

ORRC - Is there a time within a race that you 'zone out' and once the race finishes you don't actually remember any of it because you were concentrating on the buggy so hard? How do you find time to monitor everything else in these high concentration situations?

Andy - I don't think I've fully zoned out, maybe that's why I haven't made a 1/10th Off Road A Final!  One of my biggest issues is being too alert, I wouldn't say I focus 100% on my own race and as I mentioned earlier I always try to keep an eye on what's going on.  I try to pick out certain cars as markers who I know are similar pace or quicker to me and try to stick with them, this way I know I'm on to a good time!

ORRC - Club racers are often heard to say that sponsorship is only for the elite drivers? We all know that any brand endorsement is a 2 way relationship between sponsor and driver. Explain what you personally do for your sponsors in return for their support every year?

Andy - I don't believe sponsorship is for the elite drivers.  The key to it all is communication, letting your sponsors know you are there if they ever need anything testing as well as letting them know how you are getting on with their products. You also need to act as an ambassador and make sure you represent the sponsor as they would expect, be well behaved at the track!!


ORRC - Can you describe the strongest emotion that you get after a really good race? Not just a win, but a really solid drive?

Andy - Joy.  You know yourself if you have put a run in and there is nothing like a quick, clean 5 minutes


 ORRC - You have attended many European Championships during your long career, what are the specific differences to European competition compared to domestic regional and nationals?

Andy - Driving standards.  We're lucky at our BRCA Nationals, both 1/10th and Micro as the organising team(s) know how to set-up a meeting.  This means that we generally race against people who are of similar ability and speed so it makes it easier to compete.  At a Euro's the abilities of each competitor is not really known, sure we all know who the top guys are but when you get to about Heat 8 of 14 then it can be a lottery at times, patience is key!

ORRC - It is commonly said that a racing car, regardless of scale can only have 2 of 3 important characteristic, these being, handling, strength, and speed. Do you think that we are close with technology to gaining all 3 attributes with off-road RC  cars?

Andy - Yes, yes and yes.  We are not far away from achieving perfection!  You can remove the handling characteristic as I believe the handling is all down to the set-up and of course your set-up will depend on the speed.  The speed has always been there in RC Cars it's just more commonly available now terms of Brushless Motors and LiPo batteries.  The one that still needs continuous work is Strength.  These cars are travelling at such high velocities at times and it does amaze me there isn't more damage to cars during a race but you do still a wishbone snap by just clipping a corner or a shock tower break on a simple roll.  All in all I think the strength side of things will come based on the plastics being used by the top manufacturers so it may be only a matter of time until we see perfection"

ORRC - If you could name 1 person in your life who has inspired your racing the most who would that be?, in RC or other life situations?

Andy - There is only one answer to this and that has to be Dad.  If it wasn't for him then I wouldn't be where I am today and although we argue at the track and I'll just turn into a moody teenager at times we both work together to achieve the best results we can.  If it wasn't for Dad I wouldn't even be racing

ORRC - You are well known for your Orange Colour scheme, where did this come from?

Andy - This started back in the mid-1990's racing at Ellesmere Port. After a few years of racing I finally broke into the Top Heats and during the outdoor season it could mean racing under floodlights.  The whole bright Orange scheme was based around this and it's just stuck.  Everyone at the Nationals know whose on the track when they see me and it really does help in racing situations.  I'd like to see more Andy Jones inspired Orange shells but it's not catching!
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all my sponsors in both 1/10th and Micro Racing as it is their support that makes this possible:

Schumacher Racing , Losi , T.O.P. Models , Speed Passion , Manselton Models , RC Model Imports, Trishbits, & Phat Bodies



I think it is fair to say that Andy definitely exudes some very rare qualities, not just in RC but in the bigger world. Considering his expansive experience at all levels of competition, and his busy schedule, Andy still takes time out to offer help back to the lower ability racers across the country. His relentless work ethic has further substantiated his position in the off-road hall of fame, as his contributions to racing, organisation, and community spirit are hard not to feel when you sit next to him for any amount of time. Having also watched Andy race on several occasions, it is apparent that time and effort do equal results. From an early age Andy Jones was destined to be off-road through and through.

I would like to thank Andy for such a great interview and pass my best wishes onto him and his sponsors for a successful 2012 season and beyond.

Learn more about the products that Andy uses from Schumacher here www.racing-cars.com
Discover the new Losi Mini 8ight that Andy races at micro level here www.horizonhobby.co.uk
Follow Andy's micro racing results over at this amazing micro forum www.uk-microrc.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment