Thursday 1 December 2011

Lee Martin exclusive interview - Tamiya super racer speaks out




During my career as an art director there have been some pretty interesting people I have spoken with, interviewed, or created art for. I recently had the very fortunate opportunity to speak with probably one of the most inspirational and humble ambassadors for any sport or activity I have been involved in over the years. When you read Lee Martin's list of racing achievements you can't help but wonder if he is part robot, part 2.4ghz transmitter, and part Formula 1 test pilot?.

During our recent interview, where he opened up about what exactly makes him such an off-road star, Lee gave me an incredible insight into his personal history, his passion for competition, and how he keeps his cool in the most pressured racing environments. What ever Lee Martin is made of................he is 100% racer.

Pour yourself a cup of tea and join me as we step into the world of a man who is arguably one of the last decades most decorated off-road drivers.



ORRC - What is the one moment in your career that you realised you would be racing for the rest of your life?

Lee - I honestly do not think there is one. It just has so many good memories for me, a hobby that started as a father/son sport which allows you to build the relationship which can be difficult without a mutual interest! RC racing has so many good qualities, meeting new people, traveling (whether it is the UK or the world), its super fun and thankfully can be enjoyed by everyone. It does not matter if you're young or old, tall or short, black or white.Everyone can participate in our hobby, something of which is very rare!!

ORRC - Out of all the venues worldwide that you have raced, what's your favourite track and why?

Lee - I have to say Competition Hobbies in Tucson, Arizona. This is a fantastic facility with a superb off road track. It has had some the best layouts and dirt I have ever raced on! Although recently I travel to Japan and was able to visit Yatabe Arena, this has to be the best actual 'site' for racing as it houses a track for everyone! Off Road, Touring car, drift and micro!

ORRC - When you work on your gear, what's the most important aspect of buggy maintenance for you?

Lee - Taking your time and making sure everything is prepared. It's the worst feeling in the world arriving at a track with things still left to do! (I know as I have done it a lot). So now I try to make sure everything is ready and looking good (no one likes a dirty car)!

ORRC - When your vehicles leaves the ramp and your buggy goes airborne, what goes through you head?

Lee - Well, first of all, has the take-off gone wrong? If not then all is well and I can concentrate on how I want it to land and at what angle. If it's gone wrong then I have to think about how I'm going to correct it so that it lands safely!

ORRC - How many hours a week do you spend with your kit?

Lee - Well my wife would say too many! With my actual kit I would say about 20 hours a week. With RC as a whole you would have to at least double that! But this all depends on what races we have coming up.

ORRC - Driving a rear motor buggy in 2wd, and still being highly successful, do you feel a Tamiya mid-motor would make you even quicker on British high grip tracks?

Lee - Of course! I think that's a given. I have been almost 'handicapped' on UK tracks for the past 2 years, so I think it's time we evened the score ;)

ORRC - Do you favour the speed and aggression with 4wd, or the finesse and control of 2wd?

Lee - Actually finesse as a whole, whether it be 2wd or 4wd. I like to let the car do the work, be very neat and tidy and try not to ever let it get out of control. I am not a big fan of messy driving, but that's just me.

ORRC - When you go to bed the night before a massive meeting, do you ever struggle to sleep due to being focused on the racing?

Lee - Actually yes I struggle with this a little, often finding it difficult to sleep before a big race. I think it's because I'm always thinking and things are running through my mind. I sometimes have the same problems at home.

ORRC - What is your favourite way to relax when your away from off-road racing? Are you a fan of any other sports hobbies etc?

Lee - Well spending time with family and friends is often the best way to relax! I also play football and go for mountain bike rides with my dog Max running alongside me.

ORRC - Making a small mistake when driving at your level can really cost, so what's your advice for people when they make a mistake and are under pressure to perform during a race?

Lee - Mistakes happen to all of us, its part of racing. Its how you go about your race after the mistake that can help you perform. Whether you can pull back a good result or not, at least put yourself in a good mind set for the next race!

ORRC - When you were young and developing your skills, who did you look up to in the racing community and why?

Lee - Depends on what age, during each step in my racing life I looked up to different people for different reasons. My first few months were spent at my school, in the evenings racing at a small club where you look up to local heroes! Mine was Nick Goodall (don't tell him) and that's the reason I race with a steer wheel radio, as he did. Then once I moved to the national scene I could not help but admire Craig Drescher, as he was winning and drove for AE as at the time I was doing. Moving to a European level and it was at that time a certain Neil Cragg started making his mark, so then you had to admire his talent and watch him win, that provided a great driver to watch as well as motivation to become as good as him! But with all of these people, one that stands out who I think changed the way I think about things was Richard Barton, it was at a club race and I was stood next to him on the drivers stand and noticed the level of concentration he had just for a club race. This inspired me to think more and concentrate harder. He was also such a nice guy with it, having time to help anyone and was humble about all he had achieved, So this is my pick!

ORRC - If your racing style was a colour, what colour would it be and why? ;)

Lee - Orange of course! It has that calming sense of the yellow mixed with the fighting side of the red. The perfect blend!

ORRC - What's the most important aspect of buggy set-up for off-road racing and why?

Lee - Getting your shocks right can be key! They help you on bumps, jumps and cornering.

ORRC - When you win, explain the feeling you get?

Lee - Pride. I'm not one to gloat and be a show off. I'm generally just really happy with myself for what I have achieved. I know I have worked hard and when you know you have done everything you can to do the best you can, you can leave with a great sense of pride. A lot of what I pushed for in RC has not just been for me, but also to make my father proud. Unfortunately Dad passed away a few weeks ago, but everything I will continue to do is to make him proud. As I said before, what started as a father/son hobby soon moved into a career with just myself going to the track, but you could guarantee that he would know before anyone else how I had done! Even sometimes before me. Only when you see how happy you have made your inspiration can you feel satisfaction.
Lee & Dad...Number 1 together


ORRC - What's the best way to become faster in general? Is it all about time on the track? Or are there other factors?

Lee - Think about it like this, if you have 1 star player in a football team, and the rest of the players suck, are you going to win games? No! You might win the odd one, when everything has gone right, but generally you lose. RC is much the same, if you preparation or set up are letting the team down then what chance do you have? Make sure you have a full strength squad out there and the results will start to turn your way!

ORRC - With manufacturers developing new products quicker and cheaper every year, how do you see the quality of RC products being kept to the highest standard?

Lee - Go Japanese ;) At the end of the day you pay for what you get. You know if you pay £2.00 for a car it's not going to be of a high quality, but I think this is good. A lot of people slate the new 'cheaper' cars, but if it gets more people into our hobby then why not? Fair play I say. Then if they want to go out and buy something a little nicer, the options are available! Everyone needs a watch, but not everyone want/can affords a Rolex! That's what makes Rolex's special!

ORRC - When you attack a corner, do you always stay 'on line' or will you break line if an opportunity to pass suddenly opens up?

Lee - You always have to be open to adapting, finding new lines where a pass might be achievable or even to get you out of trouble if some ones crashed in your way! Be smart.

ORRC - What's the one bit of wise advice you would give to aspiring young racers in today's off-road scene?

Lee - Enjoy yourself! Don't be afraid to come up and speak to the guys at the club who are fast or your local heroes. I'm pretty sure they won't bite! Maybe this does not apply only to the young, the oldies should do the same!! ;) Have fun, make friends and embrace our hobby.

 I previously mentioned the vast extent of Lee's achievements. I personally think that it makes really inspirational reading, so take a look at the amazing list of wins, high placings, and memorable rankings from just the last 6 years of Lee's off-road career:

2011 2wd European Champion
2011 Double Worlds A Main finalist
2011 Pre-Worlds 4wd Winner
2011 Euros 4wd TQ - 2nd overall
2011 BRCA 4wd National Champion
2011 Belguim GP 2wd Champion
2011 Petit RC 2wd Champion
2011 Reedy Race 6th - Invitational Class
2011 Cactus Classic 4wd 3rd overall
2011 Nitro Challenge 6th place overall  (8th scale)
2011 Manufacturers cup - Alabama double main finalist (8th scale)
2011 Les Mines GP - Truggy 2nd overall (8th Scale)
2010 Double European Champion & double TQ
2010 4wd BRCA National champion
2010 2wd BRCA 3rd overall - tied with 1st
2010 Cactus classic 4wd finalist - 6th
2010 Neo buggy main finalist (8th scale)
2010 Euros A Main finalist (8th scale)
2010 Pre-Euros Winner
2009 Euros 3rd place 2wd
2009 BRCA 4wd National 2nd place
2009 Neo Buggy Main finalist (8th scale)
2008 Euros 3rd place - 4wd
2008 Euros 4th place - 2wd
2008 BRCA 4wd National Champion
2008 GRP dirt champion (8th scale)
2007 Neo buggy main finalist
2007 BRCA 4wd National Champion
2007 Worlds main finalist 2wd
2007 Euros 2nd overall 2wd
2006 Euros 3rd overall 4wd
2006 Euros 4th overall 2wd

As you can see, Lee has been a very busy man and recently he has added to his professional RC related commitments by launching his very own RC brand. L.M.R (Lee Martin Racing) is set to supply custom designed hop-up parts and RC accessories that will allow us all a chance to try out some of the products that Lee has developed during his racing career.

I would like to close in saying a few words about Lee and his amazing contribution to this interview. Lee is definitely in this sport for the 'long haul'. His commitment, personable character, and world class racing skills are in some way secondary to the one factor, that if we are all honest, we all strive to develop in our racing, and our everyday lives...Lee is REAL. a real sportsman, a real high achiever, and a real gent.

Off-Road Radio Control would like to wish Lee luck with his future racing goals and thank him and Tamiya for providing us with such a high level to aspire to...in Lee's own words "Have fun, make friends and embrace our hobby"

To see the full L.M.R product range visit http://l-m-racing.co.uk
To see the full range of TRF products visit http://www.teamtrf.com/
To see the full range of Tamiya Racing products visit http://www.tamiya.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment