Tuesday 29 November 2011

Ellis Stafford - Exclusive interview with Big E

 For a racer who needs no long introduction to avid off-road fans, Ellis Stafford is regarded as a legend in his own lifetime. With a racing career that has included multiple national championship wins, multiple indoor national championship wins, European 4wd championship wins twice, and even a touring car winter championship win, his trophy cabinet is in need of an extension these days. We are very proud to share with you an interview that Ellis very kindly gave to Off-Road Radio Control. Hopefully we will all get a better understanding of what it takes to compete at the every highest level and come out on top more times than we can list here.
X Factory not only make industry changing advancements with their products, but pull no punches when they select the very cream of driving skill to race for them....over to Ellis.

ORRC - What's your proudest moment in your racing career so far?

Ellis -2 things stand out for me, first was my second euros title when I had been away from the event for a good few years, no one was looking at me in practice but I knew I had good pace and to take the title after so long from my first was very special. The other one was my first national win with the X6 at Oswestry, going into my 2nd year running the car and I knew over the winter I had made some real progress with the set up. Taking that was special though as it proved mid-motor could work and set off the current trend over here and also it gave X Factory their first British title at the end of the year.

ORRC- Describe your driving style in 3 words?

Ellis -Never give up!

ORRC - What's your favourite track in the national series and why?

Ellis - I don't really have one to be honest. I like EPR and Southport as to me they are old school tracks that are fast and really test your handling skills, I'm not so keen on some of the really small assault course tracks.  I also like Oswestry as it is a new layout for everyone each year and levels any advantages anyone may have gained.

ORRC - What product could you not be without during your off-road season?

Ellis - Some will have seen this over the years, but I have a kind of blower that my Grandad gave me, kind of like a balloon inflator. I use it all the time to blow the muck off my cars after a race and that has been with me almost my whole racing life.

ORRC - Although you race several classes, which is your favourite to drive?

Ellis - I prefer 2wd as it is more about the driving skill and also drifting the car on the throttle to get it to steer.

ORRC - How do you relax after an intense race meeting?

Ellis - Your joking aren't you, I have 2 small children ! Generally just getting back home and catching up on any motor sport I have missed and playing my PlayStation. There's a group of us from racing that are always on so we have a good laugh chatting away on it whilst playing.

ORRC - Where on the track is your favourite place to overtake?

Ellis - In to a corner on the brakes..I'm not scared to back a car in and put it where people wouldn't expect it.

ORRC - Who do you consider to be your racing nemesis or closest competitor?

Ellis - I don't feel I have ever had one especially with how many years I have been racing but I guess the likes of Kevin Moore, Jamie Booth, Craig Drescher from the 90's and then Neil Cragg and Lee Martin now.

ORRC -  What's the most important aspect of your cars set-up?

Ellis - Just to have my cars set to the best I think they can be before I get to a meeting, rushing to change it when you get there doesn't do you any good.

ORRC - What do you think makes a good quality track?

Ellis - One that is 'raceable', I know that sounds silly but too many tracks try and cram in too much. To allow overtaking as well double corners help so if you get up the inside of someone you can hold it at the next corner. I don't mind chicanes but they are often just put in because there is a bit of a straight but all this tends to do is take the racing line down to 1 car wide. Jumps are good but they shouldn't be the deciding factor to a lap and should be easy to do for all levels of ability.

ORRC - What other areas of RC do you enjoy or are involved in?

Ellis - I do a little design stuff within X Factory and obviously get very involved in the test side of things for them and we talk about all kinds of things to do with racing. Most of my friends are also in racing so I kind of never get away from it, not that that's a bad thing. I do have a little helicopter I fly every now and then and done a little bit of plane flying for fun with some friends from work but after racing it's all a little boring and I just want to do off-road again !

Thanks go to Ellis for kindly taking the time to chat with us. Thanks also go to X Factory for allowing us all to see Ellis pilot the X6 and soon the X7 for our racing pleasure.

If you ever get the chance to watch Ellis race then his amazing skill and track-side charisma will be obvious. If you are ever next to him on the starting grid....get ready for a tough battle.

To see the full X Factory range visit http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/
To discuss anything X Factory spares or kit related, contact Darren Boyle on - 01923 816636

No comments:

Post a Comment