Friday 26 October 2012

Rudebits DB1 - El diablo está aquí....


I recently began to wonder how I could take my Rudebits DB1 to the 'next level'. I have worked on many custom buggy projects over the years but I have never really felt I managed to capture the real essence of the manufacturer product I was working with. Not content with a few coloured washers and a pretty paint job, I really wanted to push the aesthetics of what already is a beautiful looking buggy. So, I am really excited to announce the very soon to be released Operation Diablo project.

The Rudebits DB1 needs absolutely NO improvements or alterations as far as it's 'drivability' is concerned. As many of you will already know, the car is wonderful to drive. The Rudebits designed Shadow body shell is a really lovely shape, with a nice streamlined twist on the recent craze of 'cab-forward' lids for 2wd off-road cars. So how do you improve the aesthetics of a car that already benefits from stealthy low profile looks and the really great craftsmanship of it's Kyosho donor parts?....that is simple in my eyes. I decided to take the concept of 'Rudeness' and the main Kyosho brand colour to its physical limits with the following changes.

EVERYTHING TURNS RED!! and by that I mean everything that can possibly be treated to be a red finish has been stripped from the buggy and sent away to a colour wizard who is currently giving my DB1 the full 'El Diablo' red devil treatment. The donor Lazer ZX-5 and Kyosho RB5 aluminium parts are being stripped of all their current coating colours and anodised in blood red finish. That means, motor mount, rear hangers, front hinge pin brace, battery and chassis posts, rear hubs, camber link pick-up plates, thumbscrews, shock collars, shock caps, and anything else that connects these parts and made from a metal substrate. I have also commissioned a custom chassis protector in red woven carbon vinyl, and also a lipo tray lining in the same material and colour. Although it may seem excessive to the more 'conservative' amongst us....when a buggy is this good...why not give it a real special look is my philosophy?....I really wanted my Rudebits DB1 to be a real one-off!!

After I had dealt with the 'hardware', I thought it silly not to attempt to get the body shell painted to both represent the cars dual Japanese and British heritage, but also to carry on the theme of the red Kyosho/Rudebits colour scheme. A quick peek at Matt Coleman's paint job made my tongue drop out....

Check the spy shot here....


So folks, my Rudebits DB1 will soon be unveiled in it's full 'red devil' incarnation and I really can't wait to share with you the amazing finished product. How do you make the Rudebits DB1 even ruder?........more news to come very soon.

To learn more about the Rudebits DB1 visit: www.rudebits.co.uk
To investigate all the Kyosho products that go into building your very own DB1 visit: www.insidelineracing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment