Monday 10 September 2012

David Burton - Exclusive interview with the man who designed the Rudebits DB1



 It never ceases to amaze me just how much innovation there has been over the last decade in the world of off-road radio control racing. As fans of the sport, we are really spoilt for choice when it comes to investing in new kit. I recently had the pleasure of speaking with one very dedicated racer who has undoubtedly contributed to not just broadening the choice for racers who are looking to buy a new and exciting car, but has also contributed to the innovation and forward thinking approach that keeps our sport fresh and ever growing. David Burton of Team Kyosho fame was the man who designed and tested the Rudebits DB1 2wd buggy conversion before the rest of the scene got their hands on this super fast racing car. Now lets just put this into perspective for a minute. This car was designed and tested by a handful of dedicated racers, with David as chief designer...not a multi-national super brand....from the mind of 1 man...into the hands of a few top flight racers...then WHAM! straight onto the podium at National level competition...lets see what David has to say about this almost explosive rise to stardom for the concept that bares his very own initials....DB1

ORRC: When did you first realise that you would like to design your own buggy?

David: It was at the Petit Race (Ardent Raceway) 2011 that I thought I was on to something. I was running a B4-B44 mix (similar to DB1 layout), which I won the B final with (for me that's real good). I was told that this mix had been done before - but, for whatever reason, this was never taken any further. I ran the car indoors through the winter, then tested it outdoors in the spring...but, as good as the car was indoors - it was equally as bad outdoors, so I shelved the idea. Then in 2012 I became a Kyosho driver, and as they do not have a mid-motor car, I decided it was time to get serious about designing a car that would improve my driving; help the Kyosho team, and also change the way car design is thought about in RC racing.

Development DNA
ORRC: What is the most important element of the RC design process? Can you explain why?

David: I would say there are 4 really important aspects in the design process: 1. To design something that not only the superstars will be fast with, but also something that will improve driving standards at club level; 2. it is really important to make sure everything fits together properly when building the car; 3.what you have done in the design has been done for a reason (for optimum performance), and 4. each individual part should be produced with the highest level of quality.

The real thing! David's DB1 ready for action

ORRC: If you had an opportunity to fuse elements of several old school classic cars together to make the ultimate RC buggy of all time, what cars would you choose and why?


David: That's really difficult...I think a Losi XX and XX4 mix would be interesting! I think both these cars, especially the XX4 were well ahead of their time, in terms of design - and would match up really well together. A bit like Brad and Angelina! 

ORRC: When you set out to design the first parts for the DB1, what were the primary objectives and why?

David: My objective was purely to make a really fast indoor car for the winter. Because my last project (the B4-B44) was so successful indoors, and the fact that the Kyosho platform is so forgiving yet fast, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try to create a car that was totally unique.

The guts of this truly unique platform
ORRC: The DB1 benefits from a forward motor position that is shaft driven. Can you explain to our readers the advantages of this choice?


David: The advantage of having the motor towards the front of the car is that you get lots of steering into and through the corners, while the weighted prop-shaft drives the rear with no loss of traction, enabling it to accelerate super-fast when exiting a corner - without the car getting unsettled.

ORRC: When you race do you come away from meetings with the desire to get straight in the workshop and begin refining design and construction models you have in progress? In other words, does racing feed your passion for engineering RC products?


David: Normally when I come home from meetings I like to spend time with my family. I have a hard working wife and 3 wonderful boys that I miss dearly when I'm away. I am an engineer by trade and a racer by heart. I am always thinking about ways of improving and redesigning current products, I don't start and I don't stop - it's just something I do! So, yes racing does feed my passion for engineering RC products, I am always thinking about what I can do next in terms of design and I am always trying to think outside the box and come up with something different to everyone else.


David draws strength and inspiration from his family

ORRC: What was the most challenging element when designing the DB1 and why?

David: The most challenging part is making the design come together, and making sure you haven't over-looked anything - you want everything you have designed to go together and look professional once it is finished. While I am always eager to design new products, I am also careful to take time to sit back and reflect on the design - and come back to it time and time again, all the while asking myself - 'can I improve on what I have done'?

Every scientist needs a lab...where it all happens
ORRC: Are you a believer in a basic set-up for a 2wd buggy that only needs minor refinements for each track? Or do you prefer to set-up the car from scratch for each situation?

David: I believe every car has a base set-up that you only need to tweak a little to make it better in certain conditions. One of the main strengths of the DB1 is that it is pretty much the same set up everywhere. We have worked really hard to find a basic set up that works in nearly all conditions.

ORRC: Can you explain how you came to the decision to add the brass weight around the DB1's prop shaft? Did you test many different weights or was there some 'computer science' behind the final additions?


David: My reason for this is that when I designed the B4-B44 car, it suffered from a lot of torque-steer, which made it very difficult to drive...so adding the weight to the prop-shaft of the DB1 made the transition to the rear wheels a lot smoother, in turn giving the car more traction, making it easier to drive. We are also testing different prop-shafts at the moment (watch this space!).

Sleek lines and a really interesting layout make the DB1 stand out even when stationary

ORRC: How many early development prototypes did you and the team test before you all began to feel that the design was nearing completion?


David: I built the first car and gave it to Tony Evdoka to do some testing indoors. On first impressions, we were gob-smacked at how fast it was. Tony was getting lap-times far faster with the DB1 than he could with his other 2WD car. I remember preparing the car in the boot of his estate car, bringing it in, putting it straight down to race - then at the end of the race, taking it back to the boot of his car to swap it back to his other 2WD car (trying to keep our design under wraps). We then built 2 other cars (one for me and one for Kevin Lee) - and went testing behind closed doors - this time, though, we tested outdoors on high grip astro-turf. Straight away we were getting lap times with the DB1 a lot faster than our other 2WD car. We worked together to make some improvements - and with Kyosho's backing, we decided the car was ready to be launched. All-in-all it took about 6 weeks to get to the stage where we were happy for the car to be released.

ORRC: We are all aware that many manufacturers have switched to using aluminium chassis materials for a strong but stiff construction. Can you explain why you chose carbon for the DB1 chassis? Was it purely a decision based on torsion flex properties?


David: The car has top decks so we decided to use carbon fibre for the main chassis. Using carbon fibre allows you to tune the car better, because it is lighter - and if desired, you can add weight in where you feel you may benefit from it (and it also looks the dogs dangleys)!


ORRC: What part of the DB1's design are you most proud of and why that specific piece of engineering?


David: To be honest, there's not one individual aspect of the car that I am proud the most - I am really proud of the whole car - the way it performs and looks has exceeded all expectations. It looks so sleek, due to its low centre of gravity. I am really proud of the team who have worked alongside me to make the car the success it is today - without them it would not have been possible.

ORRC: When you race 2wd is there a favourite style of track you favour? Did this preference play a part in the DB1 development process?


David: I prefer to race on astroturf type tracks, that are high-grip, fast and following (TORCH, Silverstone, Stotfold). The DB1 was designed with high-grip in mind, as most of the UK tracks are astroturf or grass...but even in wet conditions, as we proved at TORCH regional (taking the top 4 positions), the DB1 is also good in low grip (wet conditions).

Motor towards the front and shaft driven...cool

ORRC: What is your favourite off-road obstacle on any given track and why?
  
David: I have to say I hate obstacles of all types. I am old school, I'm afraid - give me a grass track with a small jump or two and I'm right at home. Seriously, though, I do enjoy jumps when they are consistent - and not in front of the rostrum- I like to be able to see what the car is doing as I'm getting old now, and my reactions are not what they used to be!




ORRC:  If your racing style was a colour, what would that be and why? ;)

David: I would have to say Electric Blue...steady and stable with flashes of genius (who am I kidding)!

ORRC: If you could race one meeting over and over again, which one would that be and please explain why you have such fond memories of that day?

David: Anyone who knows me knows the answer to this - Hampshire National in 1998, TQ and win in 2WD. The day was perfect from start to finish, and I feel very privileged to have won such a prestigious event.

David with his creation

ORRC: What further plans do you have for the DB1? Any juicy details for fans to know at this stage?

David: We are always trying new things, and have lots of ideas - not only for the DB1, but also for the ZX5. We are always trying to improve our products, and will continue to do so through the winter and into next year. There are 2 or 3 items in testing stage at the moment that we hope to release sometime soon. I would just like to add my thanks to Tony Evdoka and Kevin Lee, for all their help in making this car a success. Thanks also to Neil Skull and Mike Craddock at Kyosho UK for their help and support. And to everyone who has bought a DB1 over the last year - I hope the car has helped you improve and achieve everything you wanted to achieve in 2012!

My thanks go to David who was a real inspiration to speak with. There is no doubt that the Rudebits DB1 has proven itself as not just a worthy competitor at the very highest level, but a worthy creation from the hands of a skillful and committed racer who never rests until the job is done to perfection. I wish David, his family, and the rest of the team behind the Rudebits DB1 the very best for the upcoming winter campaign...keep your eyes on this buggy...it has only just started ;)

To learn more about how you can own a Rudebits DB1 conversion kit please visit: www.rudebits.co.uk

To get your hands on everything Kyosho and much much more visit here: www.insidelineracing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment